As a member of the GCC Board of Trustees since June 2005, Vahé has strived first and foremost to be a collaborative and goal-oriented Board member. He served as the Board President during 2009-2010 and is the current president of the Board. During his ten years on the Board, Vahe has been instrumental in the
- Establishment of a 5% reserve to insure fiscal solvency.
- Smooth transition in College leadership.
- Hiring of Dr. David Viar as Superintendent/President.
- Achievement of the highest standards in student success, with GCC ranked #1 among the 17 community colleges in the LA region in five of the seven statewide measures of student success, and one of the top community colleges in Southern California for transfers to USC, CSU & UC.
- Construction of a new building at Garfield Campus, chosen as one of only five community college projects in the State of California to be design-built.
- Construction of an 1100-space parking structure with state-of-the-art solar panels, a partnership between GCC and Glendale Water and Power.
- Adoption of a Board Policy for all future construction at the College to meet LEED Green Building standards. The just-completed Garfield building and the Lab/College Services building currently under construction meet and exceed this standard.
- Launch of Verdugo Power Academy, a collaboration between GCC, the Verdugo Workforce Investment Board, and Glendale Water and Power.
Vahé's expertise in education, online learning, and construction (Vahé holds a Contractor's State Engineering License) have been invaluable in helping the Board guide the College in the 21st Century.